Amid Obamacare late rush, government says 'don't worry'
WASHINGTON The U.S. government said it was still processing thousands of sign-ups for health insurance under President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law on Tuesday as Americans made a final rush to obtain medical coverage in time for New Year's Day.
Citing nearly 2 million visits to the HealthCare.gov website and over 250,000 inquiries at call centers before Monday's sign-up deadline, the government gave consumers an extra day to enroll by midnight on Tuesday for January coverage.
It added flexibility by encouraging consumers to contact government call centers if they had started but not been able to finish their applications, without specifying a deadline for completing those enrollments.
"Sometimes despite your best efforts, you might have run into delays caused by heavy traffic to HealthCare.gov, maintenance periods, or other issues with our systems that prevented you from finishing the process on time," read a blog post on HealthCare.gov on Tuesday. "If this happened to you, don't worry -- we still may be able to help you get covered as soon as January 1."
The last-minute changes were aimed at getting as many people as possible insured under the Affordable Care Act, Obama's major domestic policy initiative. The administration has been moving the sign-up goal posts as it tries to recover from technical failures and political missteps that dogged the enrollment drive for weeks after it opened on October 1.
Ahead of Monday, more than 1 million people had signed up for private coverage through HealthCare.gov -- which serves 36 states -- and 14 state-run marketplaces, according to state and federal estimates.
Enrollment data from the final dash was not available on Tuesday, but administration officials cited "amazing interest in signing up for January 1."
"We are taking thousands of calls at our call centers, which remain open until midnight, and we are seeing thousands of visitors complete enrollment online," said Julie Bataille, spokeswoman for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which runs the HealthCare.gov site.
Americans who wait until after Tuesday to begin the process of selecting a health plan will have missed the deadline for health insurance coverage starting January 1 and will be covered as of February 1, CMS said on Tuesday afternoon.
The New Year's push represents the biggest test yet of the program's ability to draw in enough consumers to make it financially viable. The Congressional Budget Office forecast 7 million people would sign up by March 31, the last date to get coverage in 2014, but HealthCare.gov's problems threw those estimates into doubt.
About one-third or more of those newly insured will need to be young, healthy adults whose payments into the system would help offset the costs of covering older, sicker people.
MINIMIZING THE CONFUSION
The problematic rollout of the health law known as Obamacare, which was passed in 2010 and survived legal challenges, helped send Obama's popularity ratings to record lows and stepped up Republican efforts to gut the law and use it against Democrats in 2014 congressional elections.
The more recent changes, which the administration has said are intended to show flexibility, have introduced a new element of confusion for consumers as well as the health insurance companies that have been pressed by the government to allow new members to pay, and even sign up, past January 1 for retroactive coverage. So far the industry has agreed to extend the first payment deadline to January 10.
"Health plans will continue to do everything they can to help consumers through the enrollment process and to mitigate potential confusion or disruption caused by all of these last-minute changes to the rules and deadlines," said Robert Zirkelbach, spokesman for American's Health Insurance Plans, an industry trade and lobbying group.
"Navigator" groups that have been chosen by the government to help people sign up said they were receiving panicked calls from consumers who mistakenly thought they would be shut out of any coverage in 2014 if they didn't sign up now.
"They think if they don't enroll today they're going to be penalized," said Sandra Luz, lead navigator at the Community Council of Greater Dallas. Luz said the group's office was prepared to stay open late on Tuesday to accommodate more calls and walk-in visits and would work over the holiday week with the exception of Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
The Affordable Care Act requires most Americans to be enrolled in coverage by March 31 or face penalties that start at $95. This week's deadline, which had already been moved to December 23 from December 15, applied to coverage starting on January 1.
"A ton more people are calling in right now, and this is from people who haven't been doing this any earlier. There really are many more people who are just looking at this for the first time thinking, 'Oh my goodness, I need to get this done now,'" said Ari Epstein, a navigator for SER National in Waukegan, Illinois.
He said he worked with one consumer on health plan options until 11 p.m. on Monday.
"What's really taking the most time isn't the issues with the site that I've seen, it's folks who have questions about coverage, and the specifics of any respective plan that I don't have answers for. The wait times for the respective providers can be two hours or two and a half hours," he said.
Several state-run exchanges have also moved their enrollment deadlines. New York and California, two of the largest, added a one-day grace period similar to the federal insurance marketplace.
Massachusetts said on Tuesday it would allow sign-ups until December 31 given heavy volume and technical problems that have hampered its exchange. Rhode Island, Oregon and Maryland had already extended their deadlines beyond Christmas.
(Additional reporting by Curtis Skinner in New York; Writing by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Michele Gershberg, Grant McCool and Leslie Adler)
WASHINGTON The U.S. government said it was still processing thousands of sign-ups for health insurance under President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law on Tuesday as Americans made a final rush to obtain medical coverage in time for New Year's
WASHINGTON Most Americans oppose New York City's plan to limit the serving size of sugary drinks and don't see it helping the fight against obesity, according to a nationwide Reuters/Ipsos poll. At the same time, a majority of those polled said such
WASHINGTON The U.S. government on Wednesday scaled back its projections for Obamacare's impact in 2014, saying the law would generate slower healthcare spending growth and provide coverage to only half as many of America's uninsured as anticipated la
NEW YORK U.S. State officials behind the launch of President Barack Obama's healthcare reform on October 1 say they could weather a federal government shutdown, though the scenario would add new pressure to the political attacks and technical issues
n">The Obama administration accelerated its push to persuade individual Americans to sign up for the most extensive overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system in 50 years, even as the program's foes in Congress fought to delay its launch with the thre
n">The U.S. government on Wednesday scrambled to add computer capacity to handle an unexpectedly large number of Americans logging onto new online insurance marketplaces created under Present Barack Obama's healthcare reform law. Technical glitche
WASHINGTON The Obama administration on Thursday said people enrolled in some small, government-sponsored healthcare plans will not face a penalty under Obamacare in 2014, even though their coverage does not meet the healthcare reform law's minimum re
U.S. government says demand for 2015 Obamacare plans jumped in week ending December 12n">The U.S. government said on Tuesday that demand for the health insurance plans created under the national healthcare reform law, often called Obamacare, jumped during the fourth week of 2015 open enrollment to over 1 million people. Between Nov
WASHINGTON The Obama administration said on Wednesday that enrollment in 2015 private health insurance in the federal government's Obamacare insurance marketplaces reached 6.8 million people by Jan. 9. The total includes 163,050 people who were enrol
WASHINGTON The Obama administration estimates that up to 29 percent of U.S. taxpayers could have to take the law known as Obamacare into account as they complete their 2014 income tax returns, officials said on Wednesday. Two to 4 percent are expecte
n">Some 8.84 million people selected or were automatically enrolled as of Feb. 22 in an individual health insurance plan on the HealthCare.gov website created under the national healthcare reform law, the U.S. government health agency said on Wedn
WASHINGTON Opponents of President Barack Obama's soon-to-be-implemented policy to cut carbon emissions from power plants are planning to use an unlikely and potentially potent weapon against him: the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that saved Obam
WASHINGTON The Obama administration is developing a method for religious organizations opposed to contraception coverage under the Affordable Care Act to opt out of providing the coverage in their health plans without filling out a form. That is the
n">The number of insurers offering individual health plans on the Obamacare exchanges will increase about 25 percent in 2015 and that should keep down prices, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said on Tuesday in a report. More than
Obamacare to save U.S. hospitals $5.7 billion in uncompensated care: governmentWASHINGTON The Obama administration on Wednesday said it expects expanded health coverage under the Affordable Care Act to save U.S. hospitals $5.7 billion this year on the cost of caring for uninsured Americans. A report by the U.S. Department of He
WASHINGTON U.S. health officials said they expect 10 million people to be enrolled in healthcare plans through state-based insurance exchanges by the end of 2016, with more than one-quarter of eligible uninsured Americans signing up during this fall'
WASHINGTON Tuesday is a moment of truth for Obamacare. It marks the final deadline for most Americans to sign up for health insurance under President Barack Obama's 2010 Affordable Care Act, popularly known as Obamacare, if they want coverage startin
WASHINGTON More people signed up on the government's new health insurance website on the first two days of December than in the entire first month of the launch of President Barack Obama's healthcare reform, sources familiar with the numbers said on
n">Some technical experts are perplexed at the U.S. government's plan to switch web hosts for its new health insurance portal, HealthCare.gov, in the midst of an expected last-minute rush to beat a March 31 enrollment deadline for 2014 coverage. S
WASHINGTON The Obama administration made a major last-minute policy shift on Thursday, saying the change would help Americans meet a looming deadline to replace insurance plans canceled because of new standards under Obamacare reforms. Health and Hum
- 10-241Panikstörung - Warum sind so viele von Ihnen Antidepressiva anstelle von benzodiazapines zu nehmen?
- 02-072Iam eine chronische ocd & soziale auf symbyax.how verbessert Phobie patient.iam lange soll ich auf sie bleiben?
- 09-213Eine Geschichte der Karte Monsters
- 12-024Heute in der Forschung: Günstigere DNA-Sequenzierung; Bier Herkunft Länder
- 12-075Wie viele Tage dauert es poision Efeu mit Galmei aktuell zu behandeln?
- 02-026Ist Rückenschmerzen eine Nebenwirkung von Bendamustin?
- 03-277Timeline: Chronology of Obama healthcare law legal battle
- 03-188Ich bin jetzt seit etwa einem Jahr auf Depo gewesen, wird man es nach einer Weile immun?
- 04-209Flüchten von Anorexie, Teil II
- 04-181UBot-5 macht das Leben Alarm aussehen wie Mist
- 08-202Männlich / 75, Diabitic, schwere ständige Kopfschmerzen für die letzten 1 Jahr hatten, nimmt vovran 100mg BD täglich?
- 12-033Extra-Mittagessen Geld Versteckt in Kinderernährung Bill
- 05-154Hat jemand nahm Implanon und hatte Mühe, ihre Haare zu verlieren?
- 07-195Birth Control - Ive jetzt für ca. 7 Monate auf der Pille Loestrin gewesen und ive hatte nie irgendwelche Probleme?
- 09-036Möchten Sie eine zufällige Akt der Güte Commit ...
- 03-267Generalized und Soziale Angststörung Unterschiede
- 04-038Dads 'Age mit Kindern verbunden "Probleme Mental Health
- 06-099Grundlegende Informationen über die Vascepa (Icosapent Ethyl)
- Mayo Clinic, University of greifen $ 15M Gesundheit Illinois IT gewährt
- Vergebung: Apology Lektion von Baseball Revisited
- Idea Alle Wet: Sie brauchen nicht mehr als 8 Gläser Wasser täglich
- Jugendliche-at-Risk für Alkoholmissbrauch Abhängigkeit (AUD)
- Contraception Definitionen, PQ Wörter
- Was sind die 2015 HPV-Impfstoff reccomendations?
- Wenn Im Einnahme TEVA V5898 und wenn ich das Bad Blut verwenden kommt heraus und mein Stuhl ist weich?
- Cephalexin - Ich habe Fieber und Halsschmerzen entwickelt, da ich Keflex gestartet. Der Arzt sagt, sie?
- Brain-Essen Amoeba Getötete Verbunden mit Common Cold Remedy
- Ich habe keine Geschichte von Diabetes leiden. Doch nach Prednisolon für einen Monat nehmen, war ich?
- 2 verschiedene Blutdruck meds?
- Das Jahr in Cones: 2010 Biggest Ice Cream Trends
- Wie die Kapselabdeckungen sind aus?
- Ich nehme Lomotil, kann dies zu Hautausschläge?
- Ist Rauchen eine Zigarette ich meine Rezidiviertes habe?
- Chewbeads Zahnen Halskette Bewertung
- Make-up, Hautpflege und Schwangerschaft
- Erschütternde Krebszellen mit Musik
- Foto von JoeRuny / Flickr CC Vor ein paar Monaten, bei SAVOR --Â massiven, mehrtägige Handwerk Bierfest in Washington, DC - hatte ich die Chance Sam Calagione in Aktion zu sehen. Calagione ist der Besitzer von Delaware Dogfish Head Brauerei und eine
Kann diabetischen Nervenschäden auftreten, wenn der Strom Blutzuckerspiegel pp-143 & Fasten-98, wo ist?... Ausgangswerte waren 435 & 305 jeweils in einem Typ-2-DM Patienten mit Metformin 1ooo & Glimepirid 1mg? ----schneiden---- In Antwort auf 2009-09-20 03:06 Uhr in suzanne66 Diabetische Neuropathie (Nervenschädigung) durch eine Reihe von Faktoren
- Jemand schlug mir Notfall Niacin zu nehmen. Ich habe noch nie davon gehört und nicht sehen können es für einen "Notfall" verwenden wird. ----schneiden---- In Antwort auf 2010-01-30 16:21 Uhr in suzanne66 Unter diesem Begriff ist from http://www.
- Jedes Mal, wenn ich meine perscription Flasche öffne ich weiß, ich habe die Niaspan geöffnet, weil der Geruch (ich werde auf den Geruch nicht erklären, es kann eine Antwort besudeln). Ich habe dies bemerkt, da ich dieses Medikament vor einem Jahr ges
- Patent abgelaufen 11/17 - im nächsten Monat ----schneiden---- In der Antwort auf Rajive G ... bei 2011-10-04 23.00 Plavix sollte vorhanden sein als Generika, in der Regel Unternehmen dürfen die Generika 6 Monate vor Ablauf des Patentschutzes zu entwi
- LONDON More people than ever are living with the AIDS virus but this is largely due to better access to drugs that keep HIV patients alive and well for many years, the United Nations AIDS program (UNAIDS) said on Monday. In its annual report on the p
- Wo wir stehen, was Präsident Obama hat ein erreichbares Ziel erklärt - und eine Top - US - globale Priorität Sydney Opera House am Welt - AIDS - Tag 2011 [Rick Rycroft / AP] die AIDS-Pandemie zu beenden ist nicht "nur Visionär", sagt der Gemeins
- Credit: Schlafprobleme Foto über Shutterstock eine Nacht Schlaf fehlt die gleiche Wirkung auf das Immunsystem hat als körperliche Belastung zu erleben, eine neue Studie aus den Niederlanden findet. In der Studie, Männer, die 29 Stunden lang ununterbr
- Ich habe immer zufällige Schmerzen in meinem Magen, sind sie nicht die ganze Zeit nur manchmal. Aber sie sind nicht wenig Schmerzen, die sie verletzen. Könnte TriNessa Geburtenkontrolle die Ursache dafür sein? Oder was ----schneiden---- In Antwort au
- Der Vorsitzende Mao Zedong (links) und stellvertretender Vorsitzender Lin Biao die Verformung von "kleinen roten Bücher" von einer Menschenmenge in China anzuerkennen. Falls Sie es verpasst haben , wurde von 07 bis 13 Oktober naturheilkundliche
- Warum ist das Medikament Rescon MX nicht mehr verfügbar? Kann nicht bei Walmart oder Walgreens bekommen !?
- Verbot: Der falsche Weg Kinderernährung zu verbessern
- Ich begann am Samstag Zoloft Einnahme begann mit der Hälfte Pille 25mg ersten zwei Tage und?
- Hat Carvedilol Ursache Schwellungen der Beine und Hautausschlag, der kleine Blasen ist?
- Ist es schlimm, wenn ich meine Lutera Geburtenkontrolle mit einer Stunde Verspätung hat?
- California teens eat fewer calories in school
- Heiliger Terror: Wie Religion die Macht Terrorismus Schlimmer
- Jeder Mann ein König: Heinrich VIII Worst Affliction auf dem Vormarsch in Amerika
- Welche Medikamente sind für ischämische Herzkrankheit gegeben?
- Allgemeine Fragen zum Sodbrennen Behandlungen